Outdoor Gear Exchange Consignment
We are currently accepting Winter gear on consignment.
Outdoor Gear Exchange has an extensive selection of both used and new consignment gear. We pride ourself on our environmental stewardship, and our consignment program is an integral part of our environmental mission statement.
Table of Contents
Current Item Acceptance List
We are currently accepting winter gear on consignment.
This list is not comprehensive and is dependent on space constraints which change daily. Final decisions are made once the item is reviewed in store.
For inquiries regarding specific items, please call our communications department at 888-547-4327.
|Currently Taking (final decisions made in store)||Not Taking|
The Consignment Process
We will accept consignment anytime during our regular business hours (no appointment needed!), but to keep consignment running smoothly, please try to arrive at least an hour before we close.
Before arriving at the store:
- Clean and assess your items for cleanliness, defects, and missing parts.
- Email [email protected] or call 888-547-4327 with any questions you may have.
- Compile a list of your items featuring:
- Description of item
- The original MSRP
- How much you would like to sell the item for (max 80% of current retail price)
- You may come to the store anytime during store hours.
- We will create a customer account for you or pull up your existing customer account.
- You will decide whether or not you would like to support the Outdoor Gear Exchange Charitable Grant Fund with a percentage of your consignment profit.
- Our employees will assess the condition of your gear. Important note: If you are consigning a tent, it will need to be set up with the help of an employee in order to fully assess its condition.
- You and our employees will negotiate what price the gear will sell for.
- You will sign a contractual agreement agreeing to our consignment policies (listed below).
- You will receive a tutorial on how to check your consignment account online.
- Your items will be tagged and merchandised on the sales floor.
- Your items will hopefully sell! You may check your consignment balance anytime using your customer account number and your phone number/email address.
- Your consignment credit will be paid out to your customer account for you to use at your leisure—it will never expire.
- If your items do not sell after 2 months, the price of your items will be lowered. If they have not sold after 8 months, they will be donated to charity.
If a trip to Burlington is not convenient for you, you are welcome to mail in your consignment.
- You are responsible for the cost of mailing items to us, and also for the cost of shipping back refused items. Otherwise, said items will be donated.
- Please email [email protected] a list of potential items to consignment staff prior to shipping to us. We may be able to rule some items out immediately, saving you money.
- Items should be mailed to:
- Upon receipt of your items, we will suggest pricing, write up a consignment contract, and mail it to you for your final review and agreement.
- To redeem your money, you may request to have a check mailed to you or you may spend your money online on our website.
- To price your items, you and our helpful staff will have a dialogue as to much the item should sell for at the time of consignment intake. In general, a good rule of thumb is to set the price at 50% of the item's current retail price, plus or minus some value dependent on the items' overall condition.
- Brand-new items must be discounted a minimum of 20% off of their current retail price.
- Outdoor Gear Exchange reserves the right to discount items up to 15% at any point during consignment sale periods. If an item sells during one of these sale periods you will be paid out as if your item sold for 10% off.
Price Change Policy
- Items taken on consignment beginning March 1st, 2017 and onward may be reduced in price by Outdoor Gear Exchange after two months. Items taken before March 1st, 2017 remain subject to the original three month price reduction policy.
- You may request to reduce the price of your items after two months. Requests for price adjustments or item removal may take up to two days to process.
- If the price of an item becomes greater than 80% of its current retail price, Outdoor Gear Exchange reserves the right to lower the item's price at that time.
- You will receive 75% of the amount your item sold for in store credit or 65% in cash or check.
- If you would like a check to be mailed to you, email [email protected] or call 888-547-4327.
- You may request a check to be sent to you once your account reaches $50 or all of your items have sold.
- Your credit will be stored on a personal Outdoor Gear Exchange customer account. You may use your credit either in-store or on our website.
- Outdoor Gear Exchange will not contact you when your item sells.
- There is a 12-day waiting period before payment becomes available to allow for potential returns.
Damaged/Stolen Item Policy
- Outdoor Gear Exchange is not responsible for damages incurred while an item is on consignment.
- Stolen items will be paid out at their lowest price (as if they sold at a 10% discount) after 12 days.
Using your consignment balance online
If you would like to use your consignment credit towards an online purchase, simply contact us at 888-547-4327 or send an email with your customer ID information to [email protected]. We will convert your credit into a gift card that you may use to check out online.
Our Donation Policy
After 8 months, Outdoor Gear Exchange has the option to donate any unsold consigned item(s) to charity. If you do not want your items to be donated, you are welcome to come to the store and retrieve them at any time. Outdoor Gear Exchange's consignment department makes regular clothing donations to local charitable organizations. Recipients of these donations are non-profit organizations who work on behalf of local community members.
In the past, we have made donations to The Vermont Refugee Resettlement Program, Spectrum Youth and Family Services, The Burton CHILL Program, The Howard Center and The DREAM Program. If you are interested in receiving clothing donations from Outdoor Gear Exchange please contact our communications department at 888-547-4327.
The Charitable Grant Fund
Launched in October 2013, the Outdoor Gear Exchange Charitable Grant Fund was created to help us better give back to our local and regional outdoor community. It is funded through customer-donated money via their consignment accounts. The Fund’s goal is to help organizations acquire tangible acquisitions around access or conservation.
You may contribute a portion of your consignment payment to the Fund, as agreed upon at the time of consignment. You may allocate a portion of the entire consignment drop-off—or a single item—to go to the Fund. Grants will be awarded to qualifying organizations (non-profits or public school programs) following a seasonal application process. Learn more about projects we have funded here.