The SummitRocket 40 is a pack that really captures the essence of the "new" Mountain Hardwear that was unveiled in 2011. At the core of Mountain Hardwear's new identity is a collection of ultra-light, State Orange-colored gear for "speed alpinism," as embodied by the exploits of Swiss climber Ueli Steck. The aptly-named SummitRocket was introduced as Steck's primary pack as he zoomed up the north face of the Eiger in a then-record 2 hours and 47 minutes. Its minimalist, roll-top design weighs in at less than two pounds, but still provides enough volume for all of your extra layers and attachment points for your ice tools and crampon bag. The white fabric on the front and bottom is HardWear X-Ply, a blended fabric which includes super-strong Dyneema for resistance to abrasion from rocks and your ice tools.
The SummitRocket isn't the alpine pack for everyone, due to its lack of ski-carrying facilities and organizational pockets. But if your goal is to go fast and light crowd, this is the pack for you.
Also, it might interest you to learn that these 2012 closeout versions of the SummitRocket are 55-60 grams lighter than the new 2013 zip-top version...so get them before they're gone!Features:
- Efficient minimalist suspension carries comfortably and has removable components (framesheet, hipbelt and 48in. x 20in. pad) to go from superlight to ultralight weight
- Comfortable, low profile shoulder straps with dual density foam to distribute weight effectively
- Convenient zip top access main compartment plus easy access zip top pocket
- Versatile compression system secures climbing gear and overloads, but can be removed to reduce weight
- Multiple tool and gear carrying options: dual ice axe cradles and daisy chains plus horizontal daisies on lower sides of pack
- Large front and rear grab handles are clip secure
- Compatible with Mountain Hardwear's optional Alpine or FitLock hipbelts for heavier loads
- Medium2440 cu. in. / 40 L
- Large2750 cu. in. / 45 L
- Medium1 lb. 11 oz. / 750 g.
- Large1 lb. 12 oz. / 800 g.
- Additional Information
Intended Use Alpine & Ice Climbing, Hiking/Backpacking, Rock Climbing, Winter