Petzl - GRIGRI 2 Belay Device
A belay device so famous, it has its own Wikipedia article. The Petzl GRIGRI was introduced to the world in 1991 as the very first assisted-braking belay device. Today, it is a staple of sport and gym climbers everywhere. It may be used on all single dynamic 8.9 to 11 mm ropes on the market, with the ideal size at 9.4 mm to 10.3 mm. After all these years, the Gri-Gri is still at the top of the line thanks to the excellent handling qualities that it offers to belayers. These Gri-Gris are POST-Recall models and endorsed as safe.
- Belay technique identical to classic belay systems: both hands on the rope. A fall is stopped by tightening the hand on the free end of the rope.
- Assisted braking capability: during fall arrest, the belayer holds the free end of the rope, the cam pivots and pinches the rope, increasing the braking action until the rope stops sliding.
- The GRIGRI 2 has a new design that allows excellent control during the descent. One hand holds the rope and the other uses the handle to unlock the cam. The patented handle design allows a very gradual release of the rope. In combination with the strong braking action of the cam, it gives a great feeling of control when lowering a partner or rappelling.
- The GRIGRI 2 is compact and ultra-light at 185 g (25 % smaller and 20 % lighter than the GRIGRI)
- The construction includes a stainless steel friction plate and cam to ensure a long life for the product
- For 8.9 mm to 11 mm single ropes (ideal at 9.4 to 10.3 mm)
- Diagrams for rope installation engraved on belay device (interior and exterior)
Customer Reviews 1 item(s)
Secure and easy
The Grigri 2 is a great belay device with the added security of assisted braking. It's easy to set the Grigri up and lowering is a breeze. I feel more comfortable belaying with the Grigri on hard sport routes with dynamic belay situations since I know that I have a level of mechanical assistance from my device.